Service Types and Order Forms

Before breaking ground on your next project, take time to review KCP&L's various service types and order forms.

Temporary Service During Construction

There are two types of temporary electric services: KCP&L-provided and customer-provided. 
  • KCP&L-Provided Service - This is available only in 120 volts, so only 120-volt equipment can be operated. No city or county inspection is required for this service.
  • Customer-Provided Service - This is generally a 120/240 volt, three-wire service, although other voltages may be available. City or governing agency inspections are required before KCP&L can connect this type of temporary service. 
NOTE: Remember to have the temporary service meter removed if no longer needed by calling (816) 471-KCPL (5275)(816) 471-KCPL (5275).

Permanent Service

Once the electrical work has been completed inside and out, call the appropriate jurisdictional electrical inspector's office (either city or county) for a safety inspection. This must be completed before KCP&L can connect your service. The inspector will contact KCP&L to approve connection, which generally occurs the following business day. Depending on the complexity, we may need to inspect outside your home or business one last time before scheduling a construction crew to connect the service.

Related Links You Might Like

Hard hats
Contractor Safety

When you’re working near power lines underground or in the air, follow these safety tips.

Learn More
Utility meter dials
Report Energy Theft

Reporting energy theft helps keep our community safe. When someone steals electricity it increases costs for everyone.

Learn More